11 May 2009

A Comparison: Wolverine vs. Star Trek

Hubby and I went and saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine last weekend and Star Trek this weekend. I'd say don't bother with Wolverine, but Hugh Jackman is always worth watching however mediocre the script. Unfortunately, that was the only thing I liked about it. I thought they made a mockery of the character, the storytelling, the background, and even Scott! It was as if they were attempting to add in too many "origin" elements with other characters and didn't know how to blend them into one two hour film nor into the other films previously released.

On the other hand, Star Trek blended the early beginnings of the characters so well, it was impossible to imagine them otherwise. And since the whole film was nothing but one big alternate universe, that says something! With director J.J. Abrams, the film is given a highly saturated feel, keeping the same basic elements as the original series, but letting all those lights that blink in the control panels have their say. It made for wonderful cinematography and beauty in a world previously shown as being quite sterile and bland to the eye.

I won't go much into the script for Star Trek except to say that they have left themselves wide open to new adventures for Kirk, the Enterprise, and the rest of the crew. I was never so excited after watching this film, and I cannot remember the last time I wanted to immediately turn around and watch a movie again. If I had not been with my in-law's I probably would have attempted to talk my husband into it. But alas, it was Mother's Day, and while my 65 year old mother-in-law wanted to see the movie, it was getting late.

Maybe I can talk my husband into seeing it with me again next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment