10 November 2009

The Hangover and People's Choice


Okay, I'll admit it. I saw this movie months ago and just forgot to blog about it. Regardless, I just wanted to mention it quick because I'm in the midst of voting for People's Choice and it reminded me how much I loved this film. I'm not a big fan of slapstick comedies a la Will Ferrell or Ben Stiller. Usually those just make me cringe and go, "ew, no." So when Hubby really wanted to see this film back in August, I was hesitant to go.


Have I never enjoyed being proven more wrong in my life! Not only was this movie funny, it had a plot, a purpose, and a denouement that made sense. Just like every other comedy, you know it was all going to turn out okay in the end, but unlike every other comedy, you didn't know how they were going to get there. Heck, they didn't know either, and that was the beauty behind this film. You knew the gags and slapstick inherent in a drunken night out would be arriving at some point. You knew they did all those things too embarrassing to watch. But unlike every other film of this genre, it did not shove the slapstick inherent in drunken frivolity in your face. Like actually recovering from a hangover, we got to watch along with as the men went through those drunken photos no one ever remembers taking.


Never have I stayed to enjoy a set of credits so much. Never have I cringed, cried, oh'ed, and ah'ed so much at them with tears of laughter running down my face. Slapstick is okay in small doses. It makes the schtick that much more funnier when paired with believability like that.


I don't know if The Hangover is up for any People's Choice Awards, but I'm a member so I'm going to vote for them if I can. I just hope it's out on DVD before Christmas. I so want this in my stocking. *hint hint*

No comments:

Post a Comment